Our traditions can be traced directly to the associations of operative masons. They were men of outstanding character and high ideals, who built the cathedrals, abbeys, and castles of the Middle Ages.

With the decline of cathedral building in the 17th Century, many guilds of stonemasons, called "Operative" masons, started to accept into their membership those who were not members of the masons' craft and called them "Speculative" or "Accepted" masons.

It was in these groups, called lodges, comprised mainly of "Accepted" masons that Freemasonry, as we know it today, had its beginning.

In 1717, four such lodges, which had been meeting regularly in London, united to form the first Grand Lodge of England under the direction of a Grand Master. From that first Grand Lodge, Freemasonry has spread throughout the world. Today, some 150 Grand Lodges have a total membership of approximately four million Masons.


In 1995 on  behalf of the Lodge,  the then WM, Wor. Bro. Brian Black presented in Lodge two paintings , one to M,Wor. Bro. C.Edwin Drew, and the other to M.Wor. Bro. Jack Arthur.
The paintings were the work of the Fiancee of his Son Brian Black and depict the Square and Compasses on a blue background, framed in the Tartan of Caledonia  Lodge , and illustrated with the words, Caledonia Lodge along the top, and  A.F. & A.M. NO. 637 GRC, along the bottom., and mounted in a gilt coloured frame.
M.Wor. Bro. Drew has since requested that his copy be taken back by the Lodge and displayed in Lodge at each meeting.